It’s been a while, and we’ve missed you! We hope you’re keeping safe and sane during this pandemic. We’ve got several updates we need to cover, so let’s go! You can use the links below to jump to separate updates, or just keep scrolling!
COVID19 Entry Requirements
We are just 4 months out from Kawaii Kon (April 22-24, 2022 in case you missed it), and we’re currently planning on being able to host the convention in person, assuming it is safe to do so.
The convention center has released a ton of new protocols for your safety, and while events are capped at 50% capacity right now, that requirement is set to expire at the end of January 2022, and hopefully by then the omicron surge is over and back under control.
These new protocols can be found at https://blog.hawaiiconvention.com/reopening-protocols-and-guidelines/.
While these COVID19 protocols are subject to change based on the latest CDC and Hawaii Health guidelines, the policies as of January 19, 2022 are as follows:
- Proof of full vaccination/negative COVID19 test at the time of the convention & matching government issued ID will be required.
- Full vaccination means your second Pfizer/Moderna or first J&J shot must have been administered on or before April 6, 2022
- Negative COVID19 test must be TAKEN within the 48 hour window before entry. This may mean you will be required to test twice if you would like to attend all three days.
- For entry Friday, your test must have been taken on or after April 20, 2022.
- For entry Saturday, your test must have been taken on or after April 21, 2022.
- For entry Sunday, your test must have been taken on or after April 22, 2022.
- COVID19 tests must be an FDA approved PCR or antigen test matching your government ID (HCC notes that home test kits will not be accepted. We will update this post when we have more clarification).
- The convention center lists the following as acceptable documents for entry:
- Hawai‘i SMART Health Card (QR code) generated from the Safe Travels Hawaii website confirming full vaccination status. View their User Guide for more information.(Currently for Hawaii residents only).
- Hard Copy of or photo (can be on mobile device) of vaccination card showing full vaccination status.
All attendees must wear a mask at all times at the convention, except when eating or drinking in designated areas.
- Masks must:
- Fully cover both your mouth and nose. If you do not have a nose, this also includes beaks, trunks, nostril slits, or snouts.
- Be made with at least 2 layers of breathable material. This does not include mesh.
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Be secured with ties or ear loops and allow you to remain hands-free
- Masks must not:
- be neck gaiters, t-shirts pulled up over your face, bandanas or scarves – CDC guidance says these do not do an adequate job of blocking particles
- have a release valve – valves expel your exhaled air and thus are not useful in stopping the spread of COVID19
- have holes or be made of mesh, tulle, screen material, organza, etc.
Memberships for Kawaii Kon 2022
If you registered for Kawaii Kon 2020 (whew, that was a while ago!), your membership will be rolled over into Kawaii Kon 2022. If you haven’t registered for Kawaii Kon yet, you’re in luck because we’ve just opened registration for this year’s convention!
Just in case it is recommended for us to be at reduced capacity, we are currently limiting online sales to 5,000 3-day memberships. We may be able to release additional tickets closer to the event date, but there is no guarantee. These 3-day memberships are available at https://www.eventeny.com/events/kawaii-kon-2022-2288/ for $67.
Registration at the Door
If we are able to sell additional memberships on site, at the door pricing will be as follows:
- 3-day membership – $75/person
- 2-day membership – $60/person
- Friday only – $45/person
- Saturday only – $50/person
- Sunday only – $42/person
Kids 10 and under still get in for free with paid adult.
Be a part of Kawaii Kon
In addition to registration, we’re now opening up volunteer sign-ups, VAST contest submissions, and the panel submission form!
If you’d like to join the Kawaii Kon crew, you must be fully vaccinated. Sign ups are available now at https://kawaiikon.com/volunteering/volunteer-rules-faqs/.
This year, VAST will be hosting 2 major events you can participate in. The competitive Video Art Contest (VA), and the non-competitive Video Medley Showcase (VM).
All of the rules, guidelines and entry forms can be found at: https://kawaiikon.com/events/vast/vast-rules-submission-guidelines/.
Last day to submit your video entry is Friday, February 25, 2022. Don’t procrastinate and get to it!
Panel submissions are now open for 2022 as well! If you submitted and were approved for a panel for 2020, we’ll be resending your submission to you and asking if you’d like to roll that over so you don’t have to fill out the form again. Panel submissions or confirmation of previously approved panels are due by March 1, and acceptances will be on a rolling basis, so the sooner you get your panel in, the better. Panels can be submitted at https://kawaiikon.com/panels
We look forward to seeing the upper parts of your faces! If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.